About the Post

Author Information

Why is Quixotes focussed on Big Wind and not Big Oil or Big Gas?

As owners of Quixotes, we get asked from time to time why we are fighting the Big Wind industry and not Big Oil or Big Gas.    I think it’s time to explain why we’ve chosen the side that we have.

First of all, we are all for individual — home or business — wind and solar power.  Any home owner or any company who can lessen their dependence on the grid gets our thumbs up.  Anyone who promotes conservation of our precious resources, gets a huge thumbs up and a big round of applause from us.

For some odd reason, those of us who are anti-wind have been made out to be the bad guys.  If you’re anti-wind, you must ‘hate the planet’.  You want to see our environment destroyed.  You’re in the pockets of Big Oil and Big Gas.  Quixotes Last Stand is not funded, sponsored or financially supported in any way by any group, corporation, industry, lobby or special interest group.

There are lots of people and groups who are fighting the fight against big oil and gas and other corporations, trying to minimize the damage and destruction done to our country, our wildlife, our homes, our environment.  Hundreds of them. And we support their efforts 100%.

While we count on them to be vigilant and diligent with what they’re doing, we have to fight the fight against the damage and destruction done to our country, our wildlife and our homes by big industrial wind.   When it comes to oil and wind, it’s not a one side or the other type of thing and I guess that’s where people have it confused.

We can be against the destruction caused by industrial wind turbines (ranging in size from 300 to 600 feet tall and growing) AND we can be against the destruction caused by oil or gas.   One only has to see the events in January of this year, where a mating bald eagles nest was deliberately destroyed by a wind company and our Ministry of Natural Resources in Fisherville, Ontario, to understand why we are so passionate about this.

We aren’t “for” ANY corporation destroying all that we hold dear in this country or province.  We expect all companies and corporations to be responsible and adopt the “Do No Harm” policy to preserve our heritage and land, and to keep it’s residents and wildlife safe.  Where anyone got the idea that because we are fighting foreign multi-billion dollar wind corporations means that we support other sorts of environmental devastation is really perplexing.

Someone, somewhere, has sold this bill of goods to a lot of people. I’d wager to say that every single person who is anti-wind has fought longer and harder than the average citizen to protect our country and our environment.

We’ve been signing petitions to save the whales, save our water, save our air, since the 60′s.  I’ve joined in protest marches against big corporations plowing down forests and destroying our ecosystem for over 40 years.  I’ve written enough letters to more politicians / newspapers / magazines / governments / environmental groups, etc. over the past few decades to fill a warehouse.

We’ve donated thousands and thousands of dollars to various environmental groups.   I’d be willing to bet that most of the anti-wind people who are so callously called “nimby” have done the same.   We are battle-weary environmental soldiers who have been fighting the fight for decades, but we’re not going to give up trying to protect our beautiful Canada.

We owe it to future generations to make sure things are done right.  It’s because of the efforts of the people like us, that we had environmental protection laws brought into effect in the first place.   It’s because of people like us that emission control devices were ordered on all factories, coal plants, etc in the 70′s.

We’re the reason that we have laws protecting our wildlife and our environment. We are the reason why car manufacturers had to redesign their cars to be more fuel efficient and less polluting.  And yet for some reason, anti-wind groups have been deemed the enemy.

We learned a LONG LONG time ago, that just because something is called “green” does not necessarily make it so.   Money hungry corporations also figured out years and years ago that a good way to disguise anything bad that they’re doing is to call it ‘green’ and most people will fall for it.  When you’ve been in the environmental trenches as long as we have, you learn pretty quickly how to tell a wolf in ‘green’ clothing.

Our current battle to shine the light on the lies and damage brought about by the wind industry won’t stop until they have been exposed for what they really are and what they really stand for.  Money, money and more money.

The wind industry is not about ‘saving the planet’.  When wind corporations have their annual stockholders meeting, do you really think the first question on their minds is, “How much of the planet did we save this year?”  No.  As with any other multi-billion dollar industry, it’s “How much did our profits go up this year?” and “How much money did we make?”

We will stay in this battle to the end.  We owe it to future generations to see this through. That is our commitment.

Lori and Paul  (aka Donna and Don Quixote)

Tags: , , , ,

11 Comments on “Why is Quixotes focussed on Big Wind and not Big Oil or Big Gas?”

1. Tracy February 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

It is the actions of people like yourselves that mean the world and give hope to me. I am hanging on to life and what is left of my home, by a thread. I remind myself each day how lucky I am to be alive; and in the next breath – pray for another. Some of my neighbors have not been so lucky. God Bless all of you.
    Thank you so much Don and Donna.
    Tracy Whitworth
    Wind Turbine Refugee
    Clear Creek, ON

• Donna Quixote February 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Thanks for your comment Tracy. It’s because of people in your situation that Paul and I felt compelled to join this battle in the first place. We have no ‘skin’ in this game, but being a Canadian — to us — means that you care about what happens to your neighbours, whether they live next door or halfway across the province.

Stay strong and let the next battalion of warriors step to the frontlines. We’ll take down this enemy eventually.

Take care,
      The Quixotes (aka Lori and Paul)

2. justturnright March 16, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Makes sense to me, DQ!

Hey, I know you guys aren’t big into the whole “Twitter” thing, but if you set up your blog to automatically Tweet out your posts, it would gain traction pretty quickly….I promise.
    Drop me a line if you need help setting it up.

Great job here, as always…

🙂

• Donna Quixote March 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Thanks JT. I thought I had set up Twitter, but maybe I didn’t do it right. I’ve got a ton of stuff on my plate today so I’ll try to look at it tomorrow. I appreciate all the help I can get!! 🙂

• justturnright March 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

It would be my honor to assist, DQ.
        😉

I just looked at your Twitter feed, and I see only 7 tweets, all back in October. Do you have more than one account? I only see @QuixotesCharge.
        Also, you’ll need to change the default Twitter link to whatever address you’ll be using, instead of the @wordpressdotcom one that is the default.

Let me know: I have all your necessary links handy, when you want ’em!

3. KeithGilbert March 16, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Lori and Paul

I am also opposed to any large-scale wind projects that are imposed on any person against his or her will, especially when there are valid health concerns. A “do no harm” policy goes hand-in-hand with a principle of non-aggression, yet individuals in government and big business continue to force their decisions on people who are legitimately opposed to industrial wind turbines. Freedom of choice and voluntary consent are at the very center of this issue.

Energy production, like most things, is about money and power – and not just electrical power. Money, in its present form, is used to maintain economic and political power. The current monetary system has been imposed on us and we are not the ones reaping its benefits. Money created by banks (in collusion with government) is interest-bearing debt, and it is scarce from the moment it is created. We do not control its creation, its allocation or its price. As John Kenneth Galbraith wrote: “The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.” Graham Towers, Governor of the Bank of Canada from 1935-1955, explained the process: “The manufacturing process consists of making a pen-and-ink or typewriter entry on a card in a book. That is all. Each and every time a bank makes a loan, new bank credit is created – new deposits – brand new money. Broadly speaking, all new money comes out of a bank in the form of loans. As loans are debts, then under the present system all money is debt.”

Understanding the nature and function of money is vitally important in our struggle against big government and big business. Money is credit, and we can take control of our credit to facilitate the exchange of our goods and services. This will give us the opportunity to produce power cooperatively and competitively in a free market, at our own risk and expense, and for our own benefit.

It is quite obvious that governments are unwilling, or unable, to help us. Even the notion of democratic rights might not be entirely useful in the struggle against Big Wind. What if a majority of people in Ontario wanted (or were convinced) to put wind farms around our properties? Would we concede and accept the decision of a majority? Individual consent might be a more important consideration than democratic rights.

The battle is waged on many fronts, but there are many people who are in it together to protect our health, our property and our quality of life.

• Paul March 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks for that insightful post ,Keith. I believe our combined wealth of knowledge, ingenuity, and determination will what will be beneficial in this battle. We seem to have accomplished much without the help of endless amounts of money despite what our opponents claim. No matter what the government is, there seems to be a machinery behind them that makes the leaders almost inconsequential. I invite you to join our forum at “The Village Square” and share your thoughts further.

4. 1957chev June 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Thank you Lori and Paul, for being who you are, and doing what you`re doing….We love you! Anything worth having….is worth fighting for!!!

5. sandcanyongal April 20, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

I just received a number of avian abstracts and studies. Most are Canadian. Birds are being decimated by wind turbines plus all sorts of other hazards.

http://web.colby.edu/whwilson/publications/ Then, Click on the reprints.
    On Avian Mortality Associated with Human Activities: On Avian Mortality Associated with Human Activities (The introduction only, but well worth reading.)
    Impact of fisheries on birds: http://www.ace-eco.org/vol8/iss2/art4/#fisheries
    Migrating birds and climate change: http://www.mdpi.com/2079-7737/2/2/742

Peregrine falcon live cam: Davenport, Iowa. http://wqad.com/falcon-cam/
    Photo galleries: http://wqad.com/2014/03/02/photos-more-wildlife-in-the-quad-cities/

6. Richrad Mann October 11, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

You’ve got an uphill battle. The MSM (Main Stream Media) and big environmental organizations in general have been hijacked by Wind. They have lost their way.
    I highly recommend the book “Diary of a Greenpeace Dropout”, by Patrick Moore, one of the founders of Greenpeace.
    Everyone who claims to be an environmentalist should read this book.

• Donna Quixote October 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks Richard. I have read excerpts from that book and I think my better half has read the whole thing. It is an excellent read and I recommend it highly as well.